Life Updates: Opportunites at Work & Bad Moods

April 5, 2017

Hey guys,

I’m sure you’ve noticed the lack of updates on my blog back in March. To say that March flew by would be an understatement! (Why is it that as we get older, time seems to pass by even quicker?) The lack of updates were partly due to the fact that I'd been so consumed with work these past few weeks and really just needed to spend my downtime resting my brain. Although I knew I was doing the right thing by taking mental breaks after work, I was still feeling stressed out for not updating. It was a vicious cycle. Safe to say, I was feeling inadequate and burned out.


As someone who’s been told countless times throughout my life that I see the world through rose colored glasses, I like to take pride in seeing and hoping for the best in people and everyday encounters that life has to offer.


I try to stay optimistic and upbeat on my outlook on life, but there are some days where everything is just super depressing for seemingly absolutely no reason. I’m proud to say that I received a raise at work last month, and I was super ecstatic at first! (YAY!) I had every right to be proud and was super happy that the higher ups noticed all of the hard work and extra miles I’ve been putting in day in and day out. I had also have an amazing and supportive family (and as much as they drive me a little insane sometimes, I love spending time with them). However, no matter how many good things seem to come your way, there are days where dark feelings of hopelessness and inadequacy consume you.

I went into work on a Monday morning in March feeling like a complete and total failure, not only as an employee, but as a daughter, a friend, and a girlfriend. I know it sounds crazy how you can just waltz into work feeling like horrible when your day has barely even started. I know I shouldn’t be so hard on myself, and I knew a large part of my bad mood was attributed to a lack of sleep and the fact that my hormones were probably going all out of whack, as my period was due to start at any time. That’s what frustrated me the most: the fact that I knew all of this, but I couldn’t seem to snap myself out of it!


As crappy as I felt in the moment, I had to remind myself that one bad day does not equate to a bad life. After a long day at work, I collapsed on my bed and mopingly (is that even a word? Lol). watched YouTube video after video just to get my mind off of things. After 2 hours of mindless video watching, I decided it was time to bring myself out of my funky mood! Yes, going through a bad mood is part of what makes us human, but there comes a time when you need to bring yourself out of all that negative energy!


Here’s what I did to cheer myself up:

1. Treat Yo’self!
While watching said YouTube videos, I also slathered on a face mask and munched on some of my favorite chips (y’know the purple Hawaiian chips?!) During that time, I also had my Muji Aromatherapy diffuser running in my room, and it really helped me to de-stress. Treat yo’self to a quick 30 minute spa session, it’ll help lighten your mood and help you to feel good about yourself.





2. Make a bomb azz playlist
I typically like to listen to slow jams and songs with chill hop type beats, but I knew that wouldn’t really help my mood. Instead, I opted to make a playlist filled with upbeat hip hop and edm songs on my SoundCloud. Check it out!





3. Be Kind to Yourself
Before taking steps to bring yourself out of your bad mood, as bad as it sounds, sometimes you just have to allow yourself to go through it. I know it’s tough, and no one likes to feel bad and unhappy. We’re not meant to be 100% happy all day everyday, and that’s okay. At the end of the day, we need to remember that we’re all human beings not robots, and we have an entire spectrum of emotions to experience. Do what you need to do: Journal, vent, or in my case watch YouTube videos and eat potato chips, but make sure to pull yourself out after a bit of wallowing :)





Yes, I did go through a funky and stressful month. I’m not saying that by doing these things you will automatically be cured of your bad mood, or if you have depression that doing these things it will be fixed, but I hope to shed a little light and understanding on emotions and listening to your moods. As overwhelmed as I do feel at work sometimes, I'm thankful that my boss trusts me enough to assign me tasks that give me the opportunity to learn and grow within the company. On a happier note, it seems like most of the busyness is behind me now, so I'll definitely be better about updating this month! ~*Fingers crossed!*~

Stay tuned for a post coming in a week!

What do you do to make yourself feel better? Share and leave it in the comments below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments