milk and honey

January 22, 2017



"father. you always call to say nothing in particular. you ask what i'm doing or where i am and when the silence stretches like a lifetime between us i scramble to find questions to keep the conversation going. what i long to say most is. i understand this world broke you. it has been so hard on your feet. i don't blame you for not knowing how to remain soft with me. sometimes i stay up thinking of all the places you are hurting which you'll never care to mention. i come from the same aching blood. from the same bone so desperate for attention i collapse in on myself. i am your daughter. i know the small talk is the only way you know how to tell me you love me. cause it is the only way i know how to tell you."

-an excerpt from milk and honey by rupi kaur (pg. 37)


This week's post is going to be a short one, but for one of my New Year's resolutions this year, I wanted to read at least one book a month. I wanted to start off my first book adventure of the year with a short and easy read so I knew milk and honey would be the perfect choice! I ended up finishing the book in two sittings. (I forced myself to stop halfway so I could save the second half for another night). There are a lot of mixed reviews on this book all over the internet, but I decided to purchase it anyways since I read a couple of poems on social media before and really enjoyed them. Personally, I related to the first two sections the most "the hurting" and "the loving." Rupi Kaur was able to really capture emotions of hurt and love through beautiful imagery of her words. (One of the poems I loved and resonated with me the most was from page 37, which I posted above). All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone who was looking for a short poetic read. 

You can find out more about her here

You Might Also Like

0 comments