Life Updates: Going back to School?

October 18, 2016

Hmm, I don’t usually do these types of posts so I’m a little nervous about opening up to basically the entire internet world (haha, yes I’m dramatic), but I really wanted to sit down and write about what’s been on my mind lately. WARNING: This will probably be a long text post and most likely won’t be featuring very many pretty pictures to look at. So if you just happen to hate long text posts, please continue reading at your own risk :) !!

I came back from vacation about two weeks ago and haven’t been posting due to fatigue and the overall lack of motivation. (Don’t worry I do have a couple of ideas in my head, including my experience doing the Skywalk at the Macau Tower and a possible skin care review coming up, as well. Please be patient with me!)

A month ago, I wrote a post about finding inspiration when you feel stuck, and it feels kind of discouraging to admit, but .. I’m feeling stuck once again. Don’t get me wrong! Life’s going well for me. I’m super grateful for having a full time job and having supportive and meaningful relationships in my life, but there just has be something .. more .. I can be working towards! I am an extremely ambitious person, and I’m constantly striving to become a better and more skilled person. Maybe it’s due to the fact that I’ve officially been done with school for almost a year and half now, but I kind of miss having to brainstorm and work on big projects. (I know, crazy right?!)

1.1.jpg

While traveling from city to city on vacation, I had many hours on planes and buses to reflect and think about my goals. I remember asking myself, “Okay so, what’s next? What’s the next goal I need to work towards? What are the steps I need to take to achieve these goals?”

One idea that’s been brewing in my head has been about applying towards going to grad school. Going to grad school will, hopefully, allow me to learn a new range of skills, give me a competitive advantage in the workforce, and it will open a lot of doors in terms of networking and connections. Applying to grad school had been in the back of my mind since my undergrad days, but I wanted to give myself some time in “the real world” first to gain a bit of experience (while also being able to save up some much needed $$$!)

The two degrees that I have been looking into has been the MBA (hopefully with a concentration in marketing or management) and an M.S. in Communications. I still need to do more research on both degrees, but I’m leaning more towards the MBA. Also ideally, I would love to have the chance to earn my degree abroad (*AHEM Japan!!), as I feel that would give me insight into collaborating with individuals with different cultural backgrounds from myself. Besides, let's get real here, who wouldn’t love the chance to experience school and life in a new country?! :)

All in all I know I have a long way to go, but it feels really good to write this down on my little blog. I know as much as I can dream about this, I need to put work in to achieving this goal! Whether or not I do end up in grad school, I hope one day I can look back to this post and feel a sense of accomplishment, whether that comes from finishing grad school or for figuring out what the next steps of my life had been.

I’m going to end this post off with one of my new favorite quotes that helps motivate me to get off my booty and do big things!

“A goal without a plan is just a wish.” - Saint-Exupéry

But in the meantime, do any of you have any experience or advice with applying for graduate schools? I would love to hear about your experience with choosing a program or school!

You Might Also Like

0 comments